background

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Caroline's Baptism

The weekend of Thanksgiving we decided to baptize Caroline. My parent's were Annalee's Godparents so we decided to keep the sweet tradition for Caroline. If you think she looks like an angel sleeping in my mom's arms during Mass...you are right. She was a complete angel through the whole thing. It was a really special morning. She was anointed with oil that smelled beautiful. The aroma amazingly stayed in her hair for a few days. I kissed her lots the next few days soaking in the sweet smell and precious memory of accepting God's call to love and care for Caroline, and the promise we made to teach her about His sacrificial love and Grace.



Caroline wore the same gown that Annalee and I wore for our baptisms. Caroline is what we call "a spitter". She has a way of getting rid of anything that does not sit well with her tummy. Such an art. I am especially aware of this art when either one of us is in something pretty. That is why she is practically wrapped from head to toe in burp cloths in a lot of photos. Needless to say...the baptismal garment needs to be cleaned before the next user!
This is the baptismal font. So sweet and simple.
Caroline right before her baptism. She is not nervous one bit.


The Deacon had us loosen her gown so that he could anoint her with the oil on her head and chest.

Here is the big moment. Annalee was amazed and asked for water on her head too.





The Deacon did a special blessing for the Father's.


We love you Caroline. At the end of the weekend I realized how fitting it was to baptize my daughter over Thanksgiving weekend. I am so grateful for the gift of my children. I have never learned so much about life, love, joy and sacrifice. I was humbled at Annalee's and again at Caroline's baptisms. Humbled and honored to have been given these two children of God to hug, kiss, play with, and love. I will always remember this day, as a day that I made a promise to God and to my sweet daughter. May the Holy Spirit guide us as we work to fulfill this eternal promise.

1 comment:

  1. This is precious and so is Caroline. What a wonderful time for you and your family. :)

    ReplyDelete