background

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Growing Pains

I cried on New Years Day. 2010 was an amazing year for our family...but I did not cry because the year rolled by.

Blake, Annalee, Caroline and I were walking back from a neighbors house when Annalee said as clear as day "Cookie Monster". My eyes filled with tears. Things just changed at that very moment.

Annalee has been trying to say Cookie Monster for months now. She has been saying it in a very cute, incorrect way. I think when toddlers say some words wrong, it is actually cuter than the correct way. This was the case with Annalee's blue, stuffed friend.

Though the baby talk is cute, Blake and I are not among those parents who say the words incorrectly back to our kids. We still talk correctly to them and in front of them. I am a believer in modeling, and do not believe baby talk is quite as cute coming out of the mom and dad's mouth...just my little ole opinion...please take no offense if you are reading this and speak to your child in their language. Different strokes...

As soon as she said it Blake stopped and glared at me and said, "She said it right!! Mocky Monster is gone! Jewels, I'm sad." Unfortunately I was in no emotional state to comfort him.

It is hard to say and even harder to believe, but my oldest isn't a baby any more. She is trying so hard to walk and talk and be just like us...and she is starting to catch on.

2011, I guess I am ready for you. Annalee...keep learning, keep growing, keep getting it right...despite the pains we feel while watching you grow up so fast...you are still our joy.

Moments like the death of mocky monster remind me to love her...right where she is. All day. Every day.

Me and Annalee. March 11, 2009. The very first time.

2 comments:

  1. Jules,
    love this post. oh i am right there with you. you put it all so perfectly. i also love how your girls are getting to be in aggieland so much now. man, i am jealous. claire has yet to make it, despite two attempts. we just live so far away. so happy for your sweet family.
    love,
    becks

    ReplyDelete
  2. jewels, absolutely how i have been feeling lately. lovely post. want to see you and the girls soon!

    ReplyDelete