On the morning of September 21st I found myself at Seton Hospital...just a little over a year ago...I was in this EXACT same delivery bed. Hard to believe.
I have a few things to say about my third time to deliver a baby girl. First of all, the "rule of thumb" that third births are easy and practically "walk out" was not my personal experience. At the time this picture was taken I had just arrived, been hooked up to the monitors and had my best game face on. At this point, I was dilated at a solid 5. I had yet to experience a true "gonna have this baby" labor contraction. However, for the past week, I swear a knife was jabbed in to my lower back. Come to find out, baby girl number three was sunny side up and I had been laboring all week long.
Let's get this thing going. I usually start asking for the epidural when I am right around 8 months pregnant. Since I was so dilated, the doctor broke my water at 8:30 and my 3rd daughter was born at 12:15 pm.
My mother stayed with Annalee and Caroline and my Dad was able to join Blake and I for the birth. He had not seen a baby being born since I was born. I loved that he was there with me. He helped take photographs and kept the situation "light".

Here she is. Beautiful. Every single one of my daughters has looked COMPLETELY different at birth. I really expected this third girl to at least favor Annalee or Caroline. But really, she looked like her own little sweet self.

All that back pain was worth it. There is nothing like getting to hold your child for the first time. I have been just as amazed with each daughter...how something so small can make my heart grow so big. I loved meeting her. There was one difference with the third baby. I remembered to cherish each and every "first" moment...because I knew how fast she was going to grow.

Holding hands for the first time.

I could not stop staring at her. It was like I knew her so well...but had excitement about getting to meet her for the very first time. Blake called my mom and the girls and they headed up to meet their new baby sister. At this time, she did not have a name. Third girl...the naming part was harder!

Annalee wanted to hold her immediately. She was beaming! I must say, watching my children love on each other is one of my greatest parenting joys.

I was only gone about 5 hours...but I missed Annalee. I gotta say, nice being able to hold my kids without navigating a large tummy!

She was born with a FULL set of hair. The first thing I heard the doctor say was "SHE JUST BIT ME!" She has been the only child I have had so far that did not cry at birth. It was almost nerve racking. After I first held her, they took her back to get her to cry a bit. She had the most beautiful olive skin and dark eyes.

I don't think Caroline knew what was going on. But she loved the free sandwiches and playing with Pop.

Here is the first look at what my life looks like. My youngest two daughters have two "mothers". Me and their big sister Annalee. For some reason, I think this will be the case for the rest of their lives. Here Annalee is explaining to Caroline that she must be gentle and sweet. Caroline gets "reprimanded" often by Annalee. She gives the best "I could care less what you say" look back.

All three girls with my parents.
Margaret is an amazing baby. She slept right through the night from the very beginning and is so easily consoled when she does cry. It is almost as if God knew just what I could handle and before He sent Margaret to me, He must have whispered all sorts of sweet things to her that made her feel safe....and sleepy. I'm so thankful He sent her down to our house to love. Good luck Margaret Madison....hold your own sister!

Margaret Madison Sawyer
8.1 oz, 19 inches
September 21, 2011
I love you.
Love your candor and precious insights!!! Margaret is breathtakingly beautiful and such a blessed baby!! Congratulations to you, the Webers and the Sawyer family!!!
ReplyDelete